WHAT WILL BE COVERED
We will be discussing a number of subjects relevant to today’s student leaders, including
- How to understand your endowment
- Confronting corporate power: corporations and universities
- Reinvestment and Non-extractive finance: responsible investment strategies that can develop alternative economies
- How to be an effective student leader: recruiting, engaging, and organizing your campus
- Analyzing how responsible investment has impacted workers’ rights; environmental justice issues; corporate contributions and our political system; the impacts of the prison industrial complex; LGBTQ nondiscrimination; poverty in our local communities; and much more.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
The goal of this training is to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary to create change at their university from the ground up. Our summer program is perfect for someone new to the responsible investment movement in higher education, or for someone looking to dig deeper into developing a strong campaign plan for next year. There is no previous experience or knowledge required. We encourage people to apply as pairs or groups from each university.
Rolling until spaces are filled but make sure to apply by Friday, May, 27! We are currently accepting applications. The sooner the better.
We ask participants to contribute what they are able to afford.
The suggested SLIDING SCALE contribution -- which covers food, housing, and staff time for the entire week -- varies depending on the number of attendees from your school:
• If you are the only attendee from your school: $300/person
• If you are one of 2 attendees from your school: $210/person
• If you are one of 3 attendees from your school: $160/person
We recognize that not everyone is in a position to pay this much or raise this much money. Between REC's funding and your own fundraising we are committed to making sure that all who wish to attend will be able to.
The retreat will take place in Lanoka Harbor, NJ about 2 hours from NYC or Philadelphia. We will arrive the afternoon of July 18th and depart around 1pm July 22nd